Quantum Theory for the Public
Thank you for showing an interest in my short course, which consists of approximately 6 hours of material, spread over 6 lectures. This course is based on a sell-out lecture series at the Royal Institution of Great Britain. Dr. James Millen has 10 years experience in communicating quantum science to a public audience. For a free preview, and to purchase this course, go to quantum-short-course.thinkific.com. See the video below for more information.
The philosophy of this course is to offer a thorough introduction to quantum theory without requiring a scientific or mathematical background.
- The historical development of quantum theory; blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, Bohr model of the atom.
- The development of quantum theory; matter-waves, the Schroedinger equation, the Born rule, matrix mechanics, superposition & entanglement.
- The interpretations of quantum theory; Bell’s theorem, Copenhagen interpretation, decoherence, Bohmian mechanics, many-worlds interpretation.
- The impact of quantum theory on science; quantum field theory, particle physics, symmetry, solids, the transistor, superconductors, superfluids.
- Quantum technology; quantum information, quantum computing, quantum communication & cryptography, teleportation, sensing.
- Quantum physics in the world around us; Why don’t we notice quantum effects? How do we perform quantum experiments? Macroscopic quantum physics, quantum biology.
To purchase this course, go to quantum-short-course.thinkific.com/